Wednesday 23 March 2011

Fools

A friend of mine at work came to me the other day asking me if he was a fool. I was shocked of his inquiry because I know him and I know for a fact that he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. When I asked him why is he saying that, he said “whenever I deal with someone or someone asks me for something I immediately fulfil his request or believe him without any questions. I have been tricked many times and people keep saying that I am a fool, naive and I shouldn’t just believe everyone or accept what they say as facts”.
Now I know this is what is said in Kuwait and the general impression is to be aggressive towards other in order not to be fooled. خلك حرش which means be aggressive.
What I find really ridicules is that instead of saying “you didn’t do anything wrong, it’s that person who is wrong” we blame that good guy for being good and actually the person who was wrong we praise as a “taker” of opportunities.
No no no, that is way too …. Wrong? When a person comes and says I was tricked the blame goes to the person who tricked not the victim, it’s like telling the victim of abuse, hey you are weaker it’s not his/her fault, it’s yours for not being able to defend yourself.
I don’t know how it is in different cultures and countries, but I assume (and assumptions are always dangerous, I know) that most are the same, especially when they say that the law does not protect the fool القانون لا يحمي المغفلين.
Is this the world that you want to live in? in a place where the law of the jungle is praised and common sense lacks? Where nice people end up being called fools and naïve, where as liars and cheaters are the smart people?
With whom would you personally like to associate yourself? I know most will say ofcourse the good guy, because that’s what you think I want to read, or others to read, but be honest with yourself. The taker or the fool?
I guess that being nice to others, believing that you are a good person untill you prove otherwise makes me a fool.
I am a fool, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment